Serving the Bogardus, Hillside, Ellwood and Nagle area of northern Manhattan.
The Bogardus/Hillside/Ellwood/Nagle Block Association (BHEN)
This block association covers Bogardus Place, Hillside Avenue, Ellwood Street, and the block of Nagle between Hillside and Ellwood in Community District 12M, NYC. It began meeting in fall, 2013, and aims to make the area cleaner, safer, quieter, and more socially connected. BHEN meets every six weeks or so and tackles problems such as the big garbage pile on Hillside (it was finally taken away), need for speedbumps on Hillside (they’re coming in summer 2015), the dense network of drug-dealers all over the area (we’re still working on that), and the dangerously broken street pavement on Ellwood near PS 152 (it’s supposed to be fixed by the end of 2015). We also help tenants with housing problems and encourage tenant organizing in rental buildings.
BHEN has two working committees: 1) sanitation/environment and 2) safety. Sanitation/environment works on problems with garbage, litter and dog droppings, noise, and air pollution. Safety works on problems of crime and policing, traffic dangers, unsafe pavement, and fire. Both committees work on housing issues.
Working together, we can solve our neighborhood problems and help each other. Our Neighborly Code of Conduct can improve our community and enforce our values of respect.
Neighborly Code of Conduct
1. Clean up after yourself. No littering or disposing of household trash on the sidewalk. Please pick up after your dog and dispose of the bag properly. Put your household trash where your building management wants it.
2. No unreasonable noise. Quiet hours are from 10 PM to 7 AM. Please don’t play loud music (at home or in your car). Be considerate of your neighbors who are trying to sleep.
No honking. If you are waiting for someone, use a phone or ring their bell.
If you are having a conversation outdoors or in the hallway, keep your voice down and your business private.
3. No double-parking. If you must double park, make sure someone stays in the car and don’t stay more than a few minutes. Be mindful of the people you may be blocking in.
4. Be safe. Don’t let strangers into your building and keep the door closed at all times. If you see something suspicious, contact 311 or 911, depending on the danger.
5. Prevent fires. Know about fire safety and use the knowledge always. Be sure your smoke and carbon monoxide alarms work and have good batteries. Know what to do if there is a fire.
6. Be friendly and helpful to your neighbors. You help them; they help you. We build community.
All residents are welcome to BHEN meetings and to become members.
BHEN website: http://bogardusblockassociation.org