Memo on Police and Drug Dealers #1
Sunday 14 June 2015 10:53 PM
MEMO TO THE FILE, JUNE 29, 2014
1. June 28, 2014, 5:10 PM in front of 11 Hillside Ave., Manhattan, in which local drug dealers have long maintained an apartment. Four members of the Bogardus-Hillside-Nagel Block association present, in a chance assembly with four known local drug dealers, one of whom states, in a loud voice, “First cop through the door, I shoot my way out”.
2. Some years earlier. Meeting with Jim Drake, paid organizer for South Bronx Churches. Drake was one of Caesar Chavez' mentors. I met Drake in Delano at farmworker union headquarters many years ago. Drake describes making videos of six crack houses active near church buildings, and providing them to the DA and the local precincts. Five of the six were subsequently closed. In spite of continued video evidence and political pressure, the particular precinct containing the sixth maintained that 'there just wasn't enough evidence' to close it. Drake concluded that the crack house enjoyed a franchise from the precinct, and that SBC's efforts had simply eliminated competing organizations.
3. Meeting with Prof. Jeffrey A. Fagan, of stop-and-frisk fame, and, at the time, Director of the Columbia Violence Center, based at CPMC as a result of the intensity of the local crack war. Fagan and I are both recipients of an Investigator Award in Health Policy Research from the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation. Fagan describes using ecosystem predator-prey theory to analyze gang violence. The essential point is that megafauna predators usually do not engage in active conflict if their geographic ranges are allowed to come to a non-competitive equilibrium. External disturbance – human intrusion – will displace predators into nearby settled ranges, triggering violent confrontation. My own work, now in press, attributes the 1990's NYC crack wars to forced population displacement following 'planned shrinkage' withdrawal of fire service aimed at, 'breaking up voting blocks', to use the words of an FBI agent from the Civil Rights Division of the Justice Department with whom we collaborated.
4. Late September, 2013. Across from 11 Hillside Ave. open air drug market, about 3:00 PM, school children going home (3 schools at Bogardus and Ellwood) . Obvious suburbanites in 1990's style Washington Heights drive-by drug deal, the first observed, perhaps the first taking place under a new (cell phone or internet-mediated) marketing strategy. Buyers speed off among the children. Drug dealers give each other high-fives.
The next morning. Police car parked on Bogardus. White officer playing with cell phone, Black officer busily filling out forms. I ask if they know about the open-air drug market at Bogardus and Hillside. They say, 'oh yeah, some minor nighttime marijuana sales'. I describe the full-bore school-day drive-in, 1990's-style drug deal. They seem taken aback. The white officer says 'Since stop-and-frisk has ended, there isn't much we can do about that kind of thing'. I reply 'That's one way of looking at it. Another way is that we're forming a block association – 3 large co-ops, 3 large parent-teacher associations – and can cause a lot of political problems for the precinct on this'. The Black officer gets enthusiastic and suggests going to the Precinct Council meetings, etc. etc.
The next day, I am stunned by the message sent back by the 34th Precinct: all drug dealing stops at Hillside and Bogardus. Really. Stops. There is no dealing at all on the block for ten days, and the new team that finally comes in (for a while) is clearly a step up on the supervisory chain. Dealing is significantly curtailed, and no drive-ins are observed. Clearly, the H&B operation is franchised by the 34th Precinct.
5. Perhaps public life threats against police officers by the H&B drug operation should not be tolerated, in spite of desires to lower Precinct workload by franchising open-air drug operations.
Rodrick Wallace, PhD
Division of Epidemiology
NYSPI at Columbia University
Posted by Deborah on Sunday 14 June 2015 at 10:53 PM
on Saturday 18 March 2017 07:29 PM
on Thursday 25 May 2017 10:24 AM
Police should take a serious action against Drug dealers. As nowadays they are increasing their business on a large scale. They are also visiting to different high schools to sell those drugs to students which is very bad.
on Tuesday 18 July 2017 02:42 PM
The way that you went covert to buy unlawful medications from a street pharmacist, who in your situation happens to be a policeman, would do no mischief whatever other defilement examination by another division or office.
on Monday 31 July 2017 11:32 AM
You are a part of a unit that is investigating a suspected drug dealer. To uncover the information required, you decide to go undercover. While working undercover, you pretend to buy drugs from the suspected drug dealer. As soon as the transactions are completed, you and your team arrest and take the suspected drug dealer to the precinct to be booked into the system.
on Wednesday 23 August 2017 04:47 PM
In the event that you're separating for Online Illinois stamp sticker re-endeavoring tries then you have need to go to the ideal position place.We offer the speediest Illinois name sticker changing attempts in the state.
on Wednesday 01 November 2017 10:28 AM
If you’re selling, your Old house and buying a new one so Click Here for more info and get the best ideas.
on Tuesday 19 December 2017 06:20 AM
This thing has happened long back but so far it didn't come into my concern. It has created a sensation in those days due to this memo i guess.
on Wednesday 20 December 2017 01:12 PM
Thankful to you for some other instructive web diary. Where else may I have the capacity to get that sort of information written in such a flawless means? I have a mission that I'm a couple of moments back wearing down, and I have been at the post for such information.
on Tuesday 02 January 2018 10:38 AM
Police should make a genuine move against Drug merchants. As these days they are expanding their business on a substantial scale. They are additionally going to various secondary schools to pitch those medications to understudies which is awful.
on Friday 09 February 2018 11:45 AM
In case you're offering, your Old house and purchasing another one so Click Here for more data and get the best thoughts.
on Thursday 12 April 2018 05:56 AM
How is the head prosecutor going to restrict any movement for another trial when these examiners have admitted to such rebel conduct?
on Tuesday 29 May 2018 08:41 PM
You make so many great points here that I read your article a couple of times. Your views are in accordance with my own for the most part. This is great content for your readers.
on Tuesday 12 June 2018 11:08 AM
The essential point is that megafauna predators usually do not engage in active conflict if their geographic ranges are allowed to come to a non-competitive equilibrium. External disturbance – human intrusion – will displace predators into nearby settled ranges, triggering violent confrontation.
on Tuesday 12 June 2018 01:42 PM
Great post! I am actually getting ready to across this information, is very helpful my friend. Also great blog here with all of the valuable information you have. Keep up the good work you are doing here.
on Tuesday 19 June 2018 08:44 AM
With the Get Wifi Key View from here app you can access to all the passwords of the wifi networks.
on Tuesday 07 August 2018 06:19 PM
I wanted to thank you for this great read!! I definitely enjoying every little bit of it I have you bookmarked to check out new stuff you post.
on Sunday 12 August 2018 06:07 PM
such a great highlight ever, I found something for you, would you like to convert your website into mobile App, Yes We are providing Mobile App Development, feel free and contact us.
on Thursday 16 August 2018 05:24 AM
on Tuesday 25 September 2018 07:16 AM
The Leading Assignment Help UK Firm Offers State Of The Art Services To Its Clients With A Promise Of Delivering All The Required Work Well Within The Deadline.
on Tuesday 25 September 2018 08:54 AM
I Personally Like Your Post, You Have Shared Good Article. It Will Help Me In Great Deal.